“An all time favourite for the Christmas period. Why not try making your own with the family?
Here is a great recipe thats relatively low in calories and just as tasty!”
Nutritional Information (per pie)
- 164 calories
- 26.5g carbs
- 2.1g protein
- 5.9g fat
- 125g Flora Original
- 275g plain flour
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1egg, beaten
For the filling
- 175g mixed dried fruit
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 50g dark muscovado sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp brandy or rum
- 1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 small desert apple, grated with excess juice squeezed out
- 1tsp icing sugar to dust
- In a bowl rub the Flora into the flour and baking powder until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix the egg with 2tbsp cold water. Reserve 1tbsp and add the rest to the flour mix. Bring the mixture together to make a smooth dough – you may need to add a little extra cold water. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 20 min.
- Put the filling ingredients into a saucepan and cook over a low heat for 10 min until the apple has broken down a little. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5 and grease a 12-hole bun tin. Roll out the pastry on to a floured surface to the thickness of a £1 coin, cut out 12 x 7cm discs and use to line the tin. Spoon the cooled filling into the pastry cases.
- Cut out 12 x 3–4cm stars from the remaining pastry and put on top of each filled pie. Brush with the reserved egg mix and bake for 18–20 min until the pastry is golden. Cool in the tin for 10 min, then transfer to a wire rack and dust with icing sugar.
Try it and let us know what you think in the comments below.
Thinking of working with us? Fill in the contact form below